Training and experience
· NHS: Dr Needham-Bennett trained at Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital, London. He has worked in the NHS for most of his career including 15 years as Consultant Forensic Psychiatrist, South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust where he was Caldicott Guardian.
· Independent Sector: Ten years as a consultant, medical director and more recently, as Group Medical Director of Cygnet Health Care, one of the UK’s largest independent psychiatric providers to the NHS.
· Certification: He is an Approved Clinician and approved under Section 12, Mental Health Act 1983 (revised 2007).
· Specialisms: Assessing and treating patients with a wide range of conditions in both general and forensic psychiatry, involved in high-profile legal cases. He is particularly experienced in treating schizophrenia, organic psychosis, delusional disorders, personality disorders, alcohol and drug misuse and a range of addictions eg gambling.
Preparation of reports:
· Medico-Legal: Many years of experience preparing hundreds of medico-legal reports. Highly experienced as an expert witness, specialising in criminal cases, criminal injury compensation, employment tribunals, complex civil cases, personal injury and second opinion work.
· Serious Incident Reviews and Inquiries: Dr Needham-Bennett has carried out inquiry reports for coroners and internal inquiries for the NHS and the independent sector relating to sudden deaths, coroners’ cases, violence and other Serious Untoward Incidents.
· Parole: Numerous assessments in prisons, secure hospitals and immigration centres at every level of security to provide medical and risk assessments for parole hearings.
· Fitness to plead/Fitness to stand trial: Significant experience assessing clients
Judiciary: Dr Needham-Bennett was appointed to the First Tier Tribunal (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber) 2012-2016 and has a thorough understanding of the Mental Health Tribunal system.
Lecturer and CPD trainer: Dr Needham-Bennett lectures on Risk and Forensic issues to Tribunal Judges, doctors and lawyers at CPD events and has lectured internationally. He is an expert contributor to newspapers and broadcast media.